UNESCO MGIEP has launched the Digital Games for Peace Project. Digital games are very popular among youth, particularly amidst the COVID-19 pandemic period. To increase intercultural dialogue (ICD) competencies and socio-emotional learning (SEL) among youth, UNESCO MGIEP in partnership with the United Nations Office of Counterterrorism (UNOCT) and United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) have launched the Digital Games for Peace Project.
The Project aims to support young people in reviewing the design of digital games that will in turn act as pedagogical tools for transferring, enhancing and/or developing skills and competencies for intercultural dialogue and social and emotional learning to prevent violent extremism.
Studies indicate that digital games harness the power of play to transcend national boundaries, flatten hierarchies across individuals and cultures, summon emotions, hone problem-solving skills, and promote competencies such as empathy, criticality, compassion, conflict resolution skills and intercultural competence. Essentially digital games have the potential to develop emotional intelligence and resilience which is fundamental for behavior change.
The goal of the Project is to produce by December 2021 a youth-led proof of concept and practical guidance on using game-based methodologies to strengthen socio-emotional learning and intercultural dialogue competencies for the prevention of violent extremism and peacebuilding.
UNESCO MGIEP happily and proudly invites you and/or your network to disseminate/participate the Call for Applications.
Competition starts June 21 – December 31, 2021
- Youth will have the opportunity to interact with thought and industry leaders in these fields and build competencies in SEL (socio-emotional learning) and PVE (preventing violent extremism) and conscious game design for good, through boot camps.
- The final pool of participants will also have the opportunity to design and author a framework/guidelines to assist future educators, game-designers, policy advocates to co-opt digital games into mainstream education for SEL and peace.
- Be between 18 and 35 years old.
- Be nationals from or currently living in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Pakistan, or Sri Lanka.
- Have feeling/experience with 1 or more of the following areas of expertise: social and emotional learning (SEL), the prevention of violent extremism (PVE) or (video)gaming.
- Have good research and writing skills
- Apply before June 07, 2021, 11:59 PM IST
Click below to register