About this event
Trace Labs is a Not-For-Profit organization with the mission of crowdsourcing the collection of Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) to generate new leads on missing persons cases to assist law enforcement.
The missing persons issue is worsening, requiring modern and scalable solutions at various levels to help mitigate risk to society. Using our in house built platform “Search Party”, we enable the collection and processing of OSINT at scalable levels through our “OSINT Search Party” operations and events.
These crowdsourced initiatives allow missing persons to receive the attention that is needed early in the search process.
All proceeds from this event will go towards supporting Trace Labs infrastructure and operating costs to enable us to continue crowdsourcing OSINT to assist law enforcement in locating missing persons.
Event Schedule (In UTC Time)
2:50PM-3PM (UTC) – Pre-Event OSINT Trailers
3PM-4PM (UTC) – Intro to Trace Labs & CTF Briefing & Setup (Zoom Webinar)
4PM-10PM (UTC) – CTF Platform Opens with Cases & Live Music stream on Zoom Webinar
7PM (UTC) – Trace Labs Halftime Special
10PM – 11PM (UTC) – CTF Platform Closed and Final Verification of Flags
11PM-11:15PM (UTC) – Announce CTF Grand Prize Winners & Closing Remarks (Zoom Webinar)
Note: By purchasing an event ticket you will be automatically registered as an attendee in our Zoom Webinar (An e-mail confirmation will be sent). Manually register here: https://tracelabs-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_IYXpdIUFTKuVvNydcOfiSw
This CTF is 100% virtual, so contestants from any geographic location are encouraged to participate! We will be working on global missing persons cases for this event.
Note: Registrants who purchase the “General Admission (W/ OSINT Combine Free Training)” ticket will receive free access to the OSINT Combine Academy Trace Labs OSINT Foundations course and a discount code for 40% off any other on demand course! You will be automatically enrolled in the course at OSINT Combine using the same name and e-mail you provide us at checkout and the 40% discount code will be e-mailed to you with your ticket. Only 300 of these tickets will be available.
For this CTF, contestants can participate as either a Solo Team or a Team of up to 4.
Note: Each team member must procure their own ticket. A ticket is transferable to another person if you have not followed through on the team registration component listed below.
Getting on the Platform & Forming a Team:
2. Enter in your full Eventbrite order number in the text box (Eg. 982036635)
3. Enter a valid e-mail address, username, and password that meets the requirements shown on screen
4. Once you have successfully created your account, you will be able to log in to https://searchparty.tracelabs.org with the e-mail address and password you just set
5. When logging in for the first time, you will have the option to create a new team, or join an existing team
6. Create a Team – When creating a team you will choose a Team Name, and then be provided with a “Team Code” on the top left of your screen that you can give out to up to 3 additional team members
7. Join a Team – When joining an existing team, you will need to enter in the “Team Code” provided to you by an existing member of that team
Note: After the first time logging in and setting up a team, a refresh on your browser may be required to load the platform’s homepage.
How does the CTF work?
For this CTF, several missing persons cases will be selected from around the world for contestants to collect OSINT on to generate new leads.
This isn’t a typical “Theoretical CTF” where the flags are already known. All flags found by contestants are treated as new intelligence that can serve as a potential lead for an active missing persons investigation.
At the start of the event, contestants will be able to view the missing persons case details by logging into the CTF platform at https://searchparty.tracelabs.org with the credentials you set up on the https://searchparty.tracelabs.org/register page.
OSINT Flags from this list that are submitted to the platform will be validated by a group of volunteer Judges to ensure relevance, accuracy, and to score points.
Please also review our CTF rules here for first time contestants.
Most Valuable OSINT (MVO) Award
This award will be given out to the team in the CTF that provides one or more of the most valuable OSINT submissions throughout the event. A panel of judges will vote internally on the MVO award.
The team that receives the MVO award will also receive:
1. Up to four vouchers for the On-Demand Automating OSINT Master Class authored by Justin Seitz. This class covers Twitter, Instagram, YouTube. Web Scraping. Geographic Magic, Facebook, Visualization, and OSINT Search Engine!
2. An official Trace Labs MVO Digital Badge.
3. Up to four 6 month Intelligence Fusion Platform Subscription Access
What is the Intelligence Fusion Platform? The Intelligence Fusion platform is an award-winning software that allows you to access timely, relevant and actionable intelligence from across the globe. By fusing military intelligence principles, datamining and crowdsourced intelligence, they empower you with a comprehensive insight into the security landscape as well as with the tools you need to analyse threats, monitor and detect security risks, streamline your operations and improve incident response.
2. Up to four 1 year Hack The Box VIP Subscription
3. Up to four Offensive Security Proving Grounds 1 month subscriptions
4. Trace Labs Black Badge for each team member good for free entry to all Trace Labs Global OSINT Search Party CTFs for life.
1. Up to four 6 month Hack The Box VIP Subscriptions
2. Up to four SpiderFoot HX Standard Subscriptions
1. Up to four Hunchly 1 Year Licenses courtesy of Hunchly!
2. Up to four 3 month Hack The Box VIP Subscriptions
Trace Labs Virtual Badges
Note: You must consent to us sharing your name and e-mail address with badgr.io at the checkout screen for your ticket to receive a badge after the CTF. Within 48 hours following the end of the CTF, you will be e-mailed your badge.
Trace Labs believes in recognizing its members for the skills they gain with us and the achievements they accomplish as a result of those skills. Our collection of badges allow you to follow your interests and stand out from the crowd.
You will be eligible for the following types of badges by signing up for this CTF:
Contestant Participation Badges
By participating as a contestant in this CTF you are automatically eligible for the Contestant Participation Badge.
Top Team Badges
Each member of a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd placed team will also win a badge. In tradition with the famous DEF CON Black Badge, Trace Labs will be offering the members of the winning team with a Trace Labs Black Badge. Anyone with a Trace Labs Black Badge gets free Global OSINT Search Party CTF entry for life.
1st Place Team – Black Badge
2nd Place Team – Silver Badge
3rd Place Team – Bronze Badge
A full overview of our badges can be viewed here
How to Prepare for the Event
1. Review the Trace Labs OSINT Search Party Training Video Series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlaJQR699XLt4ib7yWgvaWM7KA12uTlB9
This series covers:
- Introduction to Trace Labs
- OSINT Search Party Contestant Training
- OSINT Search Party Judge Training
- Introduction to Setting up Sock Puppets for OSINT
2. Recommended to check out the OSINT Combine Trace Labs Foundation OSINT Course
- Note: Registrants who purchase the “General Admission (W/ OSINT Combine Free Training)” ticket will receive free access to the OSINT Combine Academy Trace Labs OSINT Foundations course and a discount code for 40% off any other on demand course! You will be automatically enrolled in the course at OSINT Combine using the same name and e-mail you provide us at checkout and the 40% discount code will be e-mailed to you with your ticket. Only 300 of these tickets will be available.
3. Recommended to check out Joe Gray’s TheOSINTion’s LIVE “Introduction to People OSINT/Missing Persons OSINT” course
- Free 2 hr condensed version of course from conINT 2020 can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EePeB9A2ZAk
- Course Details: https://www.theosintion.com/courses/osint-investigations-people/
- Use promo code TraceLabs15 for 15% off
4. Have a personal laptop ready to use
- Note: it is highly recommended to not use a work laptop
5. Get on boarded to the OSINT Search Party CTF platform
- Refer to “Getting on the Platform & Forming a Team” section above
6. Join our Trace Labs slack group here
- All event communications will take place in our #ctf-2021-06 channel in our slack group so please do sign up prior! You can also find participants from around the world to form a team with in this channel.
8. Prepare Your “Work Environment” ahead of time to help you stay anonymous when gathering OSINT on the missing persons at the event
- Review the new Trace Labs OSINT Search Party CTF Contestant Guide here
- Recommended to check out the Trace Labs Kali OSINT Distribution here (Comes preconfigured with OSINT tools for missing persons investigations)
- Use a VPN or use TOR. You likely want to hide your trail.
- Setup sock puppet social media accounts (Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, Google +, etc.) – We have a new video to help guide you here
- NOTE: We strongly advise against being logged into your own personal social media account when viewing profiles of missing persons